Problems with the nerves in your feet can cause pain and may increase your risk of serious infections. Your Houston, TX, podiatrists at Podiatry Associates of Houston offer treatments that can help you manage your nerve pain symptoms.
Relieving Nerve Pain at Home
Although nerve pain is irreversible, there are a few things you can do at home to improve your comfort, including:
- Applying Capsaicin Cream or Gel: Slathering your feet with fiery capsaicin cream or gel may not sound like a good idea if you're already in pain. Although the topical medication may feel a little uncomfortable initially, applying it regularly may dull nerve pain.
- Keeping Diabetes Under Control: Nerve damage is more likely to occur when your blood sugar level is consistently high. Managing your condition with medication, exercise, and a healthy diet is essential if you have diabetes.
- Exercising: Walking or other types of low-impact exercises are beneficial. Exercising improves blood flow and muscle strength, lowers blood sugar levels, and decreases pain.
How Your Podiatrist Can Help You
If your nerve pain interferes with your life, it's time to call your Houston foot doctors. They can offer several types of treatments, including:
- Medications: When over-the-counter pain relievers don't dull your pain, your podiatrist may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication, anti-depressants, or anti-convulsants. Although these medications are usually used for other conditions, they also help control nerve pain.
- Electrical Stimulation: Stimulating your nerves with gentle, low-intensity electrical currents prevent pain messages from damaged nerves from reaching your brain. If your brain doesn't receive the messages, you won't feel the pain.
- Massage and Alternative Therapies: Massage, acupuncture, meditation, and biofeedback offer other ways to manage nerve pain.
- Other Options: If pain and other symptoms are severe, your podiatrist may recommend an anesthetic injection or surgery.
Do you struggle with nerve pain? Pay a visit to your podiatrists in Houston, TX, at Podiatry Associates of Houston. Call (713) 666-0287 for the Chimney Rock office, (713) 467-1299 for the Memorial City office, (281) 579-0186 for the Katy office, (832) 912-7792 for the Willowbrook office, or (281) 849-9891 for the Woodlands office.