Posts for tag: Bunion Pain
Is the inner part of your foot experiencing pain? Do you see a bump at the base of your big toe? If so, your foot doctor at Podiatry Associates of Houston may diagnose it as a bunion, an acquired deformity of the metatarsophalangeal joint. Left untreated, bunions worsen, causing limited mobility, especially in older women. Fortunately, the team of podiatrists at Podiatry Associates of Houston is ready to help.
How Bunions Form
Many factors contribute to bunions. One is genetics—foot structure can be inherited, and if your mom has bunions, you may develop them, as well. Other factors include:
- Being female
- Age over 40
- Wearing tight, high-heel shoes (Harvard Health says women develop more bunions than men by a ratio of 10 to 1 because of footwear choice)
- A job which requires prolonged standing
- Sports involving jumping, bouncing and running
Add time and neglect, and the big toe begins to turn toward the second and even third toes of the foot. Podiatrists call this condition Hallux valgus. It causes additional pain and thick callus formation on the ball of the foot. Arthritis and bursitis may set in.
What to Do About a Bunion
Don't ignore the discomfort—see one of the wonderful foot doctors at Podiatry Associates of Houston. They examine bunions on a regular basis, and often treat the issue with care plans that combine conservative interventions, although in severe cases, surgery does become necessary.
Some of these conservative interventions include:
- Over-the-counter analgesics
- Cortisone injections to reduce inflammation
- A change in footwear to low-heels and wide toe boxes
- Rest, and avoiding standing
- Shoe padding, such as moleskin, to reduce friction and formation of calluses and sores
- Gait correction (how you put your feet on the ground when you walk) with custom-made shoe inserts (i.e. orthotics)
- Ice and elevation
- Night-time splints to re-align the toe
Find out More
At Podiatry Associates of Houston, our foot doctors are experts in their field. They will help you manage your bunion so you walk pain-free and stay mobile. For an appointment, call one of our five Houston area offices. For Chimney Rock, TX, phone 713-666-0287. Call our Memorial City location at 713-467-1299. In Katy, contact us at 281-579-0186. Your friends in Willowbrook can be reached at 832-912-7792. In Woodlands, call 281-849-9891.