Posts for: July, 2019
How your podiatrists in Houston, TX, can help you get relief from nerve pain
Diabetes is a common disease, and its effects on your body can be very serious. The disease compromises your immune, circulatory, and nervous systems, causing circulation problems, and affecting your body’s ability to heal. It also can cause nerve pain, which can dramatically affect your quality of life.
Nerve pain often shows up in your feet, making it difficult to walk, stand, or put on shoes. Along with diabetes, there are other causes of nerve pain, including medications, foot injuries, and other causes. The good news is, you can get relief from nerve pain. The podiatrists at Podiatry Associates of Houston offer effective treatment options for nerve pain. They have several office locations in and around Houston and Woodlands, TX, to help you and your feet.
Nerve pain can progress to the point where you might not feel your feet. You can injure your feet and not even realize it. Nerve pain can become so serious it can result in amputations of your toes or feet.
Remember to examine your feet often and take some preventive steps including:
- Avoiding hot water, electric blankets, or heating pads which can burn your feet
- Protect your feet with cushioned socks and shoes, and avoid going barefoot
- Examine your feet regularly and look for any injuries, blisters, or sores
- Apply topical antibiotic ointment to any open sores or ulcerated areas
- Bandage any injured areas to prevent infection and protect the area
Your podiatrists can help you get relief from nerve pain. They offer several effective treatments including:
- Topical creams, lotions, or patches to help relieve pain in isolated areas
- Prescription medications including anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, or anticonvulsants
- Electrical stimulation using a TENS or rTMS unit which blocks pain messages
- Anesthesia injections or surgical treatment for cases of severe nerve pain
Alternative treatment options which can also help with nerve pain include therapeutic massage, acupuncture, dietary supplements, exercise, and dietary modifications.
You don’t have to be sidelined by nerve pain. Get back on your feet by calling the podiatrists at Podiatry Associates of Houston, with offices in Houston and Woodlands, TX. Call today and help your feet!